One of the first things we did when we got our Scamp in July 2010 was to remove half of the factory 3" lift. The way it was built, it was easy to remove 1.5 inches, leaving us with garage door clearance for the canoe rack that I'd designed. Now, with questions of a newer tow rig, I needed more lift to allow for adequate bed rail clearance on newer trucks. Meanwhile, the canoe rack has been removed.
In prepping for the 2" lift (giving me 3.5" total), I was looking closely at the axle mounting brackets. The angle that is welded to the frame was developing cracks near the bend. Suddenly, a simple lift job as going to be more work involving new axle mounting brackets.
Although I can occasionally run an acceptable weld bead, any time it involves vertical work or something that really matters, I get out the checkbook and head for Cliff's. They specialize in hitch installation and trailer related work.
They fabricated new axle attachments from pieces of heavy angle iron, and stacked a piece of 1 1/2" x 2" tube as a spacer for the lift.
I was surprised to see that they welded a 6" plate on the outside of the frame, but it will certainly keep the spacer tube from any possibility of rolling.
That helps. Two inches less constraint for fitting a different tow rig if we ever pull the trigger on a new/er truck. While they were welding, I had them weld in upper shock mounts as well so that I can finish up that project.