Tuesday, March 4, 2014

All Packed Up

As this is published, BJ and I will be at Lees Ferry on the Colorado River, downstream from the Glen Canyon Dam. The day will have been spent rigging and loading three dories, four 18' rafts, and an 18' cataraft in preparation for my departure on a Grand Canyon river trip for the remainder of the month. My pile of gear wasn't as big as it seems - the white footlocker on the bottom of the pile didn't go.

With the chance for a once in a lifetime trip, it was time to replace the camera that died at the end of last year's Alaska trip. This time I went with a Fuji X-S1 because of the manual zoom which should give it longer battery life. Two spare batteries for it and one spare for my very tired and no longer waterproof Olympus Stylus 850SW go along as well. The bright yellow Pelican case should keep it dry in normal circumstances.

Even Squeak got some new gear. I couldn't find a PFD (life preserver) that would fit him so BJ provided him with a leash. Squeak represents all the friends who wish they could join us on this trip.

There are several more posts about the kayak project that will be automatically published while I'm gone, but a trip report and the final steps on Kathy's kayak will have to wait until I return at the end of the month.

4 comments:

  1. Hope you have a wonderful trip. Looking forward to reading some of Squeaks posts, also......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trip was outstanding! Beautiful country, challenging water, and unbelievable weather!

      Delete