We've made a lot of progress on the dory in the past couple days - much of it not terribly obvious. After filling the screw heads, the boat sat overnight with a heater under it so that the epoxy would cure in spite of the low temperatures we were experiencing. First project the next day was to trim the excess from the plywood bottom. Tony is doing his Mr. Wilson impression.
Once the bottom was trimmed and yesterday's screw head fillings scraped and sanded, we lifted the boat and the strongback into the "flipper" - a pair of engine stands that Tony rigged to allow easy rotation of the boat.
We rolled the boat about 60 degrees so that we could get easy access to all the screws to remove and disassemble (or disassemble and remove or a little bit of both) the strongback.
Lots & lots of screws holding the strongback together but with two guys and two drills, it didn't take too long to get it disassembled.
Getting the boat right side up for the first time was a big step.
After cleaning the excess squeeze-out from ribs / side panels, the entire interior of the boat was sanded before we began the more than one day job of filleting all the joints and epoxy coating all the interior panels.
Once that is all done, the boat will be ready for bulkheads, hatches, and all the rest of the interior fittings. After we finish the epoxy tomorrow, I'll be headed home.
Hope to come back again in early January for glassing.