Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Elective Surgery

For months, I've been considering ways to increase the amount of fresh water available in the trailer. In fact, I joined the migration of snowbirds to Quartzsite last winter for a few days specifically so that I could look at mods to a similar trailer including one that doubled the fresh water capacity. After making space under the street-side dinette bench for a second fresh water tank I had second thoughts. As I started researching for the planned Alaska trip next summer, I realized that a lot of remote fresh water sources were classic pitcher pumps - something that doesn't lend itself to refilling onboard fresh water supplies.

Ten days ago I started collecting the parts and pieces for my approach to increased fresh water capacity. The plan is to install a 12 volt transfer pump that will pull water from jerry cans to refill the onboard fresh water tank.  In the process, I may do some reorganizing of the original plumbing routing. The biggest step in the job will be to cut a hole in the curb-side of the trailer about where the convenience outlet is currently located and install a hatch cover to allow outside access to the area near the fresh water tank. Now all I have to do is get up my nerve to start cutting Saturday morning!

2 comments:

  1. John, if I could send "nerve" over the internet I would. You'll love the access hatch. Good luck, doc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nerve and for the chance to eyeball your hatch installation last year. I'm pleased with how it turned out.

      Delete