Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Closed Doors

We intentionally elected to go wandering on our own in both Antigua, Guatemala and Cartagena, Columbia. When I looked through my pictures, they're the only cities where I had 'door' pictures. I really liked the doors and the associated hardware. Some were  in excellent condition, others not so much.

Sometimes the door knockers were the only interesting part. Many of them were mounted high on the door so that they could be reached by a person on horseback.

Almost every set of doors had a smaller door or doors within the doors. The fancier places had more unusual shapes to the inner door.

The first three door pictures were from Guatemala. The remainder are from Columbia.









The cathedral still had Christmas lights.

As I examined various doors, I assumed the sometimes fancy 'washers' were retained by large rivets to hold the door planks to cross framing behind the door. Then I spotted this door which blew my theory to smithereens. The door still stands but every single through fastener has been removed.

In any case, it was nice to see that I wasn't the only one who thought the doors were picturesque.


No comments:

Post a Comment