Tuesday, March 21, 2017

North of 1000

Long time readers of this blog know that my grandson introduced me to geocaching during the summer of 2015. By August of that year, I started placing a few geocaches.

I quickly figured out that I really enjoyed putting out caches that were not typical. Most were made of items found while wandering in the desert or items that I re-purposed. What came as an unexpected delight was that folks found them interesting enough that they would award 'favorite points' to some of my caches.

Over time, I started building caches specifically because I thought they might put a smile on the finder's face. The vast majority of them aren't so tough to locate, but can be challenging to access the logbook.

While I was in Yuma last month, I surpassed a milestone that I'd never dreamed possible. My caches surpassed 1000 total favorite points.

I know I'm crazy investing as much time and effort as I do in the caches I place, but I'm finding it rewarding. The points count will slow down significantly in the next few weeks as the temps send our winter visitors (and me) packing. Meanwhile, the list of ideas keeps growing.

4 comments:

  1. It's never crazy to spend time doing something enjoyable. Combining time spent in the great outdoors with people peacefully socializing....makes for a worthwhile activity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you summed up the attraction. Outdoors, often early morning or after the sun's gone down, and fun people.

      Delete
  2. Investing in what you and others find enjoyable is certainly not a waste of time! One never knows where it might lead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have fun in the shop and its clear that others are enjoying them - seems like a nice trade-off.

      Delete