Thursday, April 2, 2015

Culinary Delights from Facebook -- Really

Ten days ago an old long time friend posted this tempting suggestion to her Facebook feed. (I know better than using "old" when she's a bit younger...) When I suggested she was a trouble-maker for posting this, she responded that if I used dark chocolate it would be a healthy snack.

So, in a spirit of selfless service to my friends and blog readers, I had to give it a try.



A glob of peanut butter sandwiched by slices of banana. Technically, it wasn't difficult although it would have been easier with smooth peanut butter and

without a dog begging for banana slices.

We've had this set of pots and pans for twenty years or so. I think this is the first time the double boiler was used.

While I have a temper, I don't know anything about tempering chocolate, either before or after this experiment. The first ones worked pretty good although the chocolate started getting grainy by the time I had the last frozen banana sandwich into the chocolate pond.

The end result looked like a puddle of chocolate hiding something.

After chilling in the fridge, it was time for a taste test. The banana had lost its texture but have so much flavor that it masked the more important flavor of the peanut butter.

After studiously considering the options, and in a quest to make this easier and more healthy, my conclusion was to leave out the bananas and the double boiler. Just put a glob of peanut butter on a piece of dark chocolate - honest, it's better, and apparently healthy if you can believe Facebook.

4 comments:

  1. Chocolate and peanut butter. Two of the finer things in life. The banana recipe sound good, though. I eat banana and peanut butter sandwiches all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my bananas with some texture AND I'm lazy, so I'm going to go with the two course snack - eat the banana and then follow it with peanut butter on chocolate pieces.

      Delete
  2. I think I much prefer your method....faster infusion, easier clean-up, still nutritious! I suspect Turk will appreciate less effort on the bananas as well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, and yes! My method is the perfect method for a lazy guy like me.

      Delete