Thursday, October 30, 2014

Making a Difference

Last Saturday was national Make A Difference Day although I didn't know that when I volunteered to join a small group from the church to paint a couple manufactured homes. They were hoping for 20 volunteers but ended up with about half that many. Since I'd just started my own roofing project the day before I almost bailed on them, but I'm glad I didn't.

The first home went from white to tan for the main color, with blue trim. The group started by masking the windows, but I could cut in the edges as fast as a person could mask, so I ended up with my trim brush in hand all day - fine by me, and easier for everyone!

This place looked much nicer when we got all finished up. This one had fairly complex trim and an additional room built on the back corner. We started painting about 7 a.m. and were finished with it about 11 a.m. or so.

A rep from Rebuilding Together came out just about the time we got the first home finished up and took some pictures. I got a kick out of the gals - I think they got as much paint on themselves as they did on the house. I was pleased to learn about Rebuilding Together. I'm going to look into volunteering more often with our local affiliate.

The second home had less complex trim. It had an off-white main color with the same blue trim. I must admit that I got a bit of a surprise as I was leaving the second job when we finished up about 2 p.m. Apparently you have to drive a white truck to be part of this group.  ;-)

It was a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Nice! (As long as you don't have to drive a Ford truck! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You DID make a difference! Loved seeing the project. And all the white trucks are funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word is there were over 140 houses painted last Saturday in the Phoenix area. Pretty cool!

      Delete