At the Quartzsite Gathering in February, BJ fell in love with the clothesline that Lynne had on her trailer. It didn't take long for a similar set to show up in the garage.
I ignored the kit while I built boats and rafted the Grand Canyon but needed to get it installed before we headed out. The kit was designed to mount angled stubs to a 4" tube bumper with u-bolts. Our bumper is 2" x 3" channel. Rather than jury-rigging the u-bolt setup, I cut some excess length off the stub
and cut some receiver tubes from 1" x 1/16" square steel tubing. The hole in the receiver tube matches up with the remaining hole in the angled stubs.
Every year I come up with an excuse to use the GE arc welder that my Dad bought during World War II. I don't weld enough to be good at it, but it's good enough to not fall off.
With this design, the angled stubs are removed when not in use, reducing the chance for a knee injury. The long bolts drop in place to retain the angled stubs when the clothesline is in use.
With the uprights on the stubs, I was able to string the line. The kit was obviously designed to fit on a full width rig - I had lots of line left over.
In order to keep the line from shifting when the clothesline is disassembled and rolled up, I put some bathtub sealant where the line passes through the holes in the upright. Once that cures, BJ is going to make a long, skinny, stuff sack to store the parts in while we travel.