Friday, October 12, 2012

Kenai Canoe Trails

I'm back to (aka "still") dreaming. The Alaska trip next summer is still a long ways off, but that's no reason to be ignoring it. By temperament and training, I'm a planner.

Unlike the plethora of information about the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Minnesota, there seems to be very little written information about flat water canoe routes in Alaska. I noticed a mention of the Swan Lake Canoe Trail when reading the Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping by Mike and Terri Church in mid-August.

Attempts at research on the Swan Lake system didn't turn up much online, but did lead to the discovery of Daniel Quick's guide. The nearly twenty year old book makes the Swan Lake route the most documented route in Alaska. I ordered a copy from him and have really enjoyed considering a couple options for a possible multi-day canoe trip while in Alaska next summer.

In addition to the Kenai options, I've seen a little information about the Lynx Lake circuit in the Nancy Lake State Recreation Area near Wasilla. In addition to a possible "grandparents" trip, I'm hoping I'll find something that looks logical for a first overnight canoe trip with the grandson and this might be it.

I know there are other canoe routes in Alaska but most are much more remote, include whitewater, and are much less documented.  Feedback from anyone with experience on Alaskan multi-day canoe routes would be appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment